Investment Manager Selection & Monitoring
Our approach to investment monitoring is driven directly by R&H’s core values of independence and building long term relationships with our clients.
Our experienced in-house Investment Manager Review (IMR) Team has developed a customised process, including purpose-built software, which comprises three key steps:
- Trustees have a core fiduciary and – we believe – moral duty to act in the best interests of their beneficiaries, and in order to do so, they must gain an understanding of their long term goals and aspirations.
- In conjunction with the underlying clients, and with support from the IMR Team, the trustees construct an Investment Policy Statement (IPS) outlining the objectives, reference currency, time horizon, risk profile, liquidity needs, restrictions and any other information pertinent to the overarching investment strategy for the structure.
Investment Manager Selection
- We believe the trustees’ fiduciary obligation to preserve and enhance the value of assets applies in both nominal and real terms, and that it is necessary to invest structure assets in order to preserve wealth against the erosive effects of inflation over the long term.
- We believe that every client is unique, and therefore we tailor the process of selecting investment firms to manage assets on a case-by-case basis in order to meet specific client requirements.
- We are completely independent in selecting investment managers, and have no reciprocal arrangements with any investment firms; our only incentive to select one manager over another is that we believe they are better-equipped to achieve the specific investment objectives of the structure in question.
- Although we view individual investment manager selection as being bespoke for each client structure, we apply the same rigorous and robust due diligence process on all investment managers in order to establish whether or not they are suitable to be engaged by R&H structures.
Ongoing Investment Monitoring
- Fundamentally, our monitoring process seeks to ensure that our investment management providers deliver value for money for the trustees and our clients, achieving stated investment objectives within a robust risk management framework.
- The combination of our purpose-built IT systems and highly experienced IMR Team allow us to conduct consistent and detailed analysis of investment performance on both a quantitative and a qualitative basis.
- In addition, the Trustees and IMR Team regularly meet with appointed investment managers in order to ensure a clear mutual understanding of long term investment objectives, drivers for past performance, current positioning and expectations.
- As part of our investment monitoring process, the IMR Team produces wealth reporting for the trustees and their clients, which can be fully customised to suit individual client needs.